Friday, April 22, 2011

Project #15 -The Wonders of Engineering


This is the Grande Coulee Dam, in Grande Coulee, WA.  ( U.S.)

Ah, the wonders of engineering!  Becuase of dams, we have all the electricity to power all of the modern conveniences that most of us take for granted, every single day. 

 I have so much respect for engineers and the work they do. They forever changed the way the modern world works. And before you make any good arguments about how it also started the slow destruction of the planet and nature all that, maybe you want to pause to unplug the computer you're reading this on? You see because like it or not, the only reason you are able to read this blog, is becuase of dams like these.

Remember the spontaneous road trip I told you about in the last post? Well, this is where I ended up. 

Grande Coulee does light shows on the face of the dam on summer nights. I have yet to see a show cause it's too early in the year, but I've heard they are great, so I really can't wait  to see for myself what al the fuss is about!

And yes, it was still raining when I got there. Good thing I had the umbrella!

Giant hydro dams and even bigger raindrops,
-J

2 comments:

  1. Hay Ms "you didn't call me when you said you would" *snort* haha! I know you are a fluff brain this week, living life through your lens and losing track of the world around you... been there!

    Did you know... on July 4th each year, they have a free fireworks on top of that dam? That they have booths and music and stuff set up all that day too? That ALL through the summer months they have a FREE laser show right ON the dam? Oh yes they DO!! See me and my Mr, we are sneaky, we catch the July 1 fireworks HERE and then the July 4th THERE and then we set off exploring on vacation from there! Ha! So there.

    Talk to you soon (suuuuurrree...)
    ♥ Barb

    ReplyDelete