Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shoot for the Stars ...



That's what I tell people when they ask me about my goals. I've always been a daydreamer ( just ask my 3rd grade teacher, poor patient woman!) and I can be somewhat impatient ( just ask my mom!).because  sometimes I dream and I get ideas in my head and I want everything to happen RIGHT NOW. And that`s just not the way life is supposed to work. It`s great to have dreams, and it's fantastic to have a plan to follow them and goals lined up. But sometimes when things don't work out on our timeline we get frustrated, disappointed, anxious. We are so focused on achieving that end result our way and on our time, that we miss the bigger picture, and we miss out on other opportunites that are right there in front of us. Things that make our journey towards our goal that much more rewarding and enjoyable!  A few years ago I began what I call my annual Goals list (I blogged a bit about it around New Years) and I began making up lists of goals I wanted to accomplish each year. Some of those goals were based on priorites and immediate needs ( atttaining a family friendly job, a reliable vehicle etc) while others were "bucket list" items, things I had dreamt about doing for years and still hadn't accomplished yet. It felt so amazing to cross those things off my list! What made it possible though, was that I was realistic about it. I didn't try to squeeze everything into one insanely crazy year, hahaha. I knew if I wanted to cross things off my list I had to write them down, work hard, and then watch for opportunites to come along and just start taking them!  And you know what - I had to start adding things to my list just so I could cross them off right away! hahaha. For instance, I have always wanted to shoot a gun ( not at anything other than a target, just thought I would clarify, haha) .And I finally had my chance!  It hadn't made it from my bucket list to my goal list so I had to add it just to cross it off right away!

My children are my top priority, they always will be. It makes me so happy to have been able to put them in music lessons this year!  My oldest is learning guitar and my little man is learning the drums. And the best part is, I didnt even have to sell a kidney on the black market to be able to afford it! hahaha. Whew! One more thing I can cross off the list!  I can sell the kidney to pay for their braces or college tuition, hahaha.

But another experience I was so thankful to have last year, is being in Vancouver for the 2010 winter Olympics. It was so much fun, aad something I didn't even have on my goals list, because it was one of those `bucket list` items that seemed like less of a priority, so it hadn't made it to the goals list. But when the opportunity presented itself, I took it!  It made the year that much more memorable and special to me.



Here`s another opportunity that spontaneously presented itsself, rock climbing! There`s quite a story behind this li'l adventure, but Ill have to get into that another time, hahaha. But you get the idea. Don`t get TOO focused that you`ll miss out on all the other dreams that present themselves to you in ways you don't always expect!



One goal that was on my list last year was to invest in people.  I wasn`t entirely sure just how I was going to go about doing that. I just knew that I was surrounded by so many wonderfully talented friends and family members and I wanted to find ways to showcase their talents and abilities any way I could. Help them realize their dreams. So when I got a chance to see my lovely friend Nicola Linde (who is a ridiculously talented singer-songwriter) perform with her band in Victoria, BC, opening for Doug & the Slugs, I was on the ferry before you could even say  `Who and the WHAT?!` hahaha 
Her show was fiantastic! We spent the whole next day after her show doing a photo shoot. I swear that was the MOST fun I have ever had doing a photo shoot.  I had such a blast being able to use my camera to promote someones else`s talents, and dreams!  I couldn't have imagined  for a better opportunity to cross that goal off my list.  ( although that goal goes back on my list every year now - there's always opportunities to invest in people!)
There are still SO many other dreams I have, that will slowly go from my Bucket List to my annual Goals List. Things like travelling, learning to surf (which I`ve been dying to learn since I was about 14 or 15) learning a second and third language, fluently. ( French and Italian ànd possibly Russian too! )
But this year I am finally taking a photography course through the New York Institute of Photography, which I've been promising myself I would take for YEARS now. I finally made it a priority and made myself enroll! yay!  And I finally picked up my guitar and am  teaching myself how to play.  With a bit of help from my son , hahaha. (and chords for songs that Nicola emails me, thanks girl!) I will continue running, with the goal of one day running a charity marathon ( which I'm sure will be the first of  many to follow)   Really, who wouldn't be motivated to run with this view to welcome you?   ( see photo below)

I am having a tattoo designed ( it will be my second)  of shooting stars, a beautiful reminder of always dreaming big, always aiming high, shooting for the stars and never giving up!
I have a favorite quote that is hanging on the wall of my house, just inside my front door, and I think ìt`s the perfect way to end this post.

Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets.
 So love the people who treat you right,
 Forgive and forget the ones who don`t,
and beleive everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance, take it
If it changes your life, let it.
 Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
 - Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! May our dreams come true with the appropriate amount of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I used to worry about you - you seemed to be going at breakneck speed at everything all at once, but I finally figured out you got rid of your training wheels and if you "fell off your bike" now and again, well thats part of learning. At least you dare to do it, you live your dream, you don't try to 'conform', you're just real and I appreciate that. Now that I've stopped trying to "mother" you (you've already got a mother for that) I can just be your friend.

    Enjoy following your adventures, Janice.

    Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete