Friday, January 18, 2013

How "Frosty" Keeps Warm

These adorable Frosty mugs were a thoughtful, anonymously given Christmas gift to my children this past year (thank you to whoever gave them, we LOVE them!)  and we have already made good use out of them.



 We especially love that Frosty comes with a lid to keep our yummy homemade Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate piping hot until we're ready to drink it. ( or if you had younger children, for when little hands are trying to carry their drink without spilling!)

Last night we were really feeling winter's chill, so we pulled out Frosty and filled him up with my own secret recipe of homemade hot cocoa. As a mama there is nothing I enjoy more than filling my little mini-me's hearts up with love - and in this case it was through their stomach's haha.

I wanted to share my recipe with all of you as well so you could beat the chill with this super tasty treat!



Homemade Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate 
(makes approx. 2 regular mugs full)

 1/2   cups whole milk or cream ( I used half & half because we love rich, creamy cocoa!)
4 tablespoons "Fry's" cocoa powder (or to taste)
4 tablespoons light-brown or brown sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt (we don't like ours too salty, but some people do!)

In a small saucepan, heat cream or milk on high until just beginning to boil,, reduce heat to medium. Mix together cocoa powder and brown sugar, add slowly to milk, stirring constantly to mix.  Add salt and vanilla and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into mugs. Enjoy!

We reserve this as a special treat to have on occasion, but not too often given the high fat content of the cream (we don't want to encourage any cardiac arrests due to clogged arteries!)  We stick to the Everything In Moderation rule on this one.

Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be at the gym ;)

Frosty mugs full of hugs,
-J








1 comment:

  1. How does one go about getting one of these "said Salted Caramel warm and fuzzy in my tummy" beverages without one actually making one oneself. I wonder. I truly wonnnnder. haha, sounds so good. Could be addictive I bet.

    Hugs and thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ~ MM Barbs

    ReplyDelete